Apr 22, 2006

Labor Part 1

Continue from my previous post.

So we went home to get ready for the induced labor that midnight (Mar 3rd 12am). As usual we went to my in laws to have dinner. MIL cooked glutinous rice (loh mai fan). I had like 2 bowls because I was afraid I may need the extra energy for tomorrow. My MIL even told me to pack extra to bring home to eat later for that evening. Anyway, I didn't.

When we were back at home, I was going through every item we need to bring with us and placing them by the main door. I took my shower, which may be my last shower for the coming month, around 8pm. Still a little bit unbelievable that we would have a baby tomorrow.

I had planned to sleep a little before going in to the hospital but all the adrenaline was going on inside me and I only ended up with 15-30 mins nap from 11pm to 1130pm. Before I went to bed, I was online but I forget what I was doing on the internet. I spoke to my Aunt (my kammo whom visited me earlier this month) that evening but I didn't tell her about my induced labor as I didn't want her to go around worry about it.

Anyway, I had planned to wake up around 12am and get ready to go in around 1230am. But my DEAR HUSBAND woke me up at 1130pm said we should get ready to go in. My my ... was he more excited than myself? But he is a person who likes to be punctual and he thought the doctor had said to go in at EXACTLY 12am. Actually, the doctor said anytime AFTER 12am. Anyway, we left home with everything around 1230am. It was a bit chilly outside and a little foggy too. We arrived at the L&D ward 15 minutes later and my room was all prepared. The check in was a breeze. No more paper work as I already did them during the pre-registration earlier.

I was asked to changed into the hospital gown with the opening at the back. After I came out, the nurse strapped me up with the monitor for 15 minutes to check for contraction and there was none. Then around 130am, she came in and placed the gel (Cervadil) inside me. It was very uncomfortable as she had to push it really close to the cervix and make sure it stays there. It has a string attached to it, just like a tampon. After placing the gel, I had to lay down flat for 1 hour, then I would be allowed to move around. The nurse left my husband and I in the room and told me to call her if I need anything. My DEAR HUSBAND stayed for another few minutes and then I told him to go home and get a good nite rest before tomorrow. He made sure I was all OK then only he left. Then, it was just me (and my baby in my tummy) in the room waiting ... waiting for the contraction to start.

To be continue ...

2 comments:

mom2ashley said...

ahh..i can still remember my labour story as though it was just yesterday...it's a special experience eh? yea..I hated it when the nurse stuck up the gel in me too! argh!

wHOisBaBy said...

mom2ashley: I was worried that I may forget about it, so I wrote it out. Yup, i actually can say enjoy giving birth (thanks to the epidural). Though the recovery for this first one was a bit longer than expected. But now I know, the next time I will take more RESTING during the first two weeks.

Oh yea, I agree, the procedure of inserting the gel wasn't pleasant at ALL.