Jun 1, 2006

Labor Part 2

Continue from Labor Part 1:

So my husband left around 145am. My plan was to sleep as long as I can after using the bathroom 1 hour later (since I have to lay flat for one hour for the gel to work). I didn't feel anything different, and was watching T.V. at the time. I tried to remember what I was watching then, but I just couldn't remember. Anyway, after the 1 hour had past, the nurse came in and asked me if I felt anything and told me that I could freely move around. I quickly went to the bathroom and then went back to bed to sleep.

While I was laying on the bed, I tossed and turned but I just couldn't go to sleep. I was nervous about tomorrow and about the delivery and the pain that I was anticipating. Then slowly, I felt cramps, menstrual like cramps. So I knew immediately the contraction has begun. But it was inconsistent so I wasn't sure if the dilation had started but I did tell the nurse when she came in an hour later to check my blood pressure and temperature. She said it was good that the gel was working immediately. After she left the room, I was again try to doze off but couldn't. I even brought Reader Digest and some Entertainment Gossip Magazines to read but I just couldn't read. I was thinking about the contraction.

It was probably 4am then. I was still awake and couldn't sleep and was going to the bathroom like every 10-20 mins. By the way, the contraction pain also feels like you want to go for bowel movements but when you are at the bathroom, nothing will come out. So I know it was definitely the contraction. I was eager to find out how much I was dilated but the nurse wouldn't want to check me because she said the next shift nurse would probably do the checking at 7am and she told me to wait till then as frequent checking would increase the chances of infection. So I was not on the bed by that time, but moving around the room. I have to unhooked the elastic monitoring band around my waist while sitting on the rocking chair, which made me felt more comfortable and able to control the contraction. It was bad, the pain I mean. So, I was in the room not able to take any rest because the pain was really unbearable. I was told that I only can get epidural if I was dilated to 5-7cm. I was waiting for it that was why I really wanted to know how much I was dilated. Anyway ... since the nurse was so sure I wasn't dilated that far enough, she could only offer me pain relieve pills which I rejected. So how did I control the pain, I was using breathing techniques, short breaths, breathing in with your nose and then letting the air out slowly using your mouth. I watched this very old classic VHS for Lamaze last month and that's what I remember to do.

Anyway, my husband plan for that Friday morning was to go back to work and complete whatever he needed and come back to the hospital at 9am (that was the time we anticipated for the Pitocin drips, which we didn't need after all). I knew he would be up by 6am so I called him around 615am but he was in the shower, so I left a message and told him to come to the hospital right away as the pain was really bad and I knew that the time would be soon. He got my message and arrived at my bedside around 730am. He did go to his office but left immediately after telling his boss.

Around 730am, the next shift nurse had yet to come so the nurse from the previous shift whom attended me helped me to check my status. She was shocked and told me that I was at 7cm. I was like ... OK ... can I have epidural now?!!?! HA HA ... I always thought I didn't need this but I guess is different story. She said she would inform my OB/GYN and also the anesthesiologist regarding my request. We were very excited, because we were will be having a baby pretty soon. We didn't have to wait till Friday night as previously told by our OB/GYN.

At 8am, I was given the epidural. I sat up on the bed and placed my legs on a chair while resting my arms on my husband chest. The administrating of the initial jabs to numb the area wasn't that pain at all - compare to the contraction. And the amazing thing was, while he insert the BIG needle into my back, I didn't feel anything. He did it like in less than 30 seconds not including the preping time. He did a good job! Thank you very much Mr. Anesthesiologist. Anyway, he told me that I would feel tingling / cold sensation along my spine and then my legs. He left the room and I was happy my contraction wasn't painful anymore! =) So now we are just waiting for the time the push.

To be continue ...

2 comments:

ZMM said...

Any after effect with epidural? I didn't use one.. but I chose Paptedin which gave me the out of body effect.

Wanted to use Epidural, but when the anaestatitian came and told us about the side effect we sent him back. :P

wHOisBaBy said...

zara's mama: first i was held back becos of the side effect but as long as it's a good with experience anesthesiologist, i think is ok.

i was pretty alert after the epidural was administered. i was even joking with my hubby. should have taken some rest but my andrenalin was pretty high (excited and nervous about new baby) so i just kept talking and talking.

i didn't remember any side effect immediately after but i did encoutered some back pain on the 3rd-4th week, but it might be becos of carrying the baby too much and i wasn't rested enough.

really, epidural makes giving birth to baby enjoyable. i would go with epidural again for the next one.