May 25, 2005

May 25 2005

Dog Adoption

Dog adoption? Hmm ... almost everyone who knows me back in Malaysia knows that I will not do this. Dog adoption ... why? There are many dogs and cats that are abandoned by their owners or lost from their owners. These pets are then reported to the Shelter and they will be brought to the shelters. If the owner didn't come to pick them up or they are not adopted by new owners, these pets will be euthanized (put to sleep). So by adopting instead of purchasing from the petstore, you are saving a life and in return this pet will provide you companionship for life.

I don't remember where I got the idea about getting a pet, but let me tell you a little bit on my adventure with pets lately.

It all started when my brother said he bought a pair of dwarf hamsters. Alright, that doesn't seems right, my brother JooYee bought hamsters?! We think that he can't even take care of himself and now he wants to take care hamster. May be we are exaggerate when we said he can't take care of himself because he has been living most of the time just by himself since I am in USA and his other sister in Adelaide. Well anyway, we just don't see him in a nanny position. There was a dog name Java that lives next door to us. But the owner sold him home and moved away and now we heard no barking no more. Java barks a lot when our poolman is here. So she is like a guard dog.

Ok, so on that weekend, Alan and I went to this pet store by Torrance. It was Saturday and a dog rescue group, Noah's Bark (http://www.noahsbark.org/) was there having their pet adoption day outside petco. They have many dogs. Big, small, baby, young, adult. This little guy name Elvis caught my attention. He is so mellow and quiet. He is of a Korean Jindo breed. From that day on, I was busy researching online about dog rescue groups. Found many of them in Los Angeles. Some specializes in smaller dog breeds and some a specific dog breeds (Goldies or Boxer).Here are a list of the rescue organizations:

Adopt a Chow Chow: http://www.adoptachowla.com/

Animal Rules: http://www.animalsrule.org/

Canine Crusader: http://www.dogsaver.org/caninecrusaders/dogs.htm

Hearts for Hounds: http://www.heartsforhounds.com/Home.htm

Lhasa Happy Homes: http://www.lhasahappyhomes.org/petlist.html

Rover Rescue: http://www.roverrescue.com/6volunteer.html

Pet Pro Life: http://www.petprolife.org/

These organization has strict criterias for the new pet owners. They are looking for a suitable owner for their pets. Before you can adopt the pet, the volunteers will visit you home and check to see if everything is fit for the pet. If not, they will have no choice but to deny the adoption application. In the meantime, the pets are place with foster homes. I was thinking about foster homing these pets but unfortunately in this case, you will not be able to have many choices of the pets you like to foster. Basically, you don't need to pay anything for the pet you are fostering. The food/grooming/vet are paid by the organization. If you plan to adopt the pet later, you may be able to do so. There is also an adoption fee from $150 and up, tax deductable. This will provide the organization with expenses for their pet's medication/food/grooming/vet.

So I came home and did research on the kind/breed of dog that I will like. I like the cute type, small and teddy bear look. These are called toy breed. Example: Shih-Tzu, Bichon, Lhasa Apso, Maltese, Pekingese & etc. I also like bigger dogs but I am afraid I can't control them and they would bite me. OUCH! So may be those will be later. What I also found out that some of these smaller breeds are good watch dog too. =)

Below is the continuation of the above post. Dated June 2 2005:

Back to what I was talking about ... Dog Adoption.

I have not been to the shelter since last Saturday. I visited the dogs and some of them already been adopted. Saw some new ones too but they are mostly of Shepherds and Pit Bulls. Not too many smaller breeds.Some of the larger breeds like Siberian Husky and Golden Retriever or Labrador are available too. Most of these dogs are at least 1 or 2 years of age. I don't know how the shelter people can tell the age of these animals. But sometimes they may incorrect. That's all for now about dog adoption.

No comments: