May 12, 2006

Confinement Month Superstitions

I was reading Shopping Mum's post on 'Tell Me Why?' and I thought I should blog something about this topic too.

We, Malaysian Chinese have many beliefs about what NOT to-do during the confinement month (after the delivery of the baby). Sometimes, I think why they have all these 'rules'.

1. Shower/Bath - I believe a bit in this and I only took shower (not bath) once in a few days during my confinement month. I was scared to get joint or muscular pain later as warned my MIL and my aunt. I was also lucky that Los Angeles is a dry place and the weather doesn't make me sweat much (even summer time). And on top of that March usually is a cold month.

But to express my thought on this matter, why we were told not to take shower? May be in the old days they didn't have readily available HOT/WARM water like today. And also in the old days when people were living in the kampung (village), they took their shower outside the house on the backyard or somewhere and you could have see the night sky view while showering/bathing. And since then, this 'rule' has been passed down to the next generation.

As for myself, I did the following:
  • Took shower during the midday.
  • Turned on the shower to let the warm water run.
  • Took warm-hot shower (though MIL said to use ginger water but I didn't due to difficulty on using it as my shower area is very small and the ginger water probably would not stay warm that long).
  • Quickly dry off when stepped out from shower.
  • Quickly dressed up after drying.
2. Wash hair - I washed my hair once a week. My hair wasn't smelling too badly as I wasn't cooking and didn't go out much. I didn't cut my hair short because I prefer to be able to tie it up. The first week when I wanted to wash my hair, I asked my hubby (he was watching tv) to assist me as I didn't want to wet my hand too much (I've been washing my hands a lot after bathrooms or touching anything else, as I was breastfeeding). I was really mad at him because he told me to do it myself. On top of that, I was using the sink in my kitchen to do it and the little shower connector wasn't working correctly. I was grumbling at him, ran into the bathroom with my half rinsed hair (wet and dripping water all over) and finished up at the bathroom sink. GRRRRR .... enough about that.

So why in the old days they didn't allow postpartum mothers to wash their hair? Because they didn't have the new invention of the - HAIR DRYER.

I did this for hair washing:

  • Washed hair during the midday.
  • Quickly dried hair after washing, using two towels.
  • Blowed dry the hair with hair dryer.
3. Ginger - this I highly believe and recommend to all new mothers. Ginger is a very good remedy even for pregnant women as they were used to reduce nausea during the first trimester. When I was younger, I 'hate' ginger. But I don't know why, I love it so much now. Love the sweetened black vinegar ginger and I could have it every day (ONLY up to one month). That's what I have everyday - ginger fried rice with egg and vinegar ginger and pork. I did the red dates ginger drink too but wasn't so well with my bowel movement and I opted out from that. Also my chinese doctor said not to drink it while breastfeeding baby. Beside those two dishes, I also had chicken wine with ginger. And of course the fish soup with ginger and papaya.

4. Physical activity - I was told when I was at the hospital to walk around to fasten the healing process. When I got home, my counsin-in-law said to sit more instead of walking around. Then my Malaysian friend told me to lay down more and to sit less (she knows I spend a lot of time in front of the computer). Well, I couldn't lay down because is only me and my husband around the house and he could only help so much. I walked quite a bit and sat while breastfeeding. It wasn't too comfortable for me to sit due to the epi, and to stand up after sitting down was worse. So I preferred standing.

I thought I healed on the second week and I did more walking and then the third week was when the pain came back and it tored. So I guessed, I wasn't supposed to be walking too much. Or may be it was from lifting my baby in his car seat from inside the house to the car during his third week doctor's appointment (my husband went back to work and i drove there myself to meet him at the doctor's office). After that, I laid down most of the time as my aunt was here and she was helping a lot with the household stuff.

I think this is important - my aunt had told me earlier not to squad down before the laceration healed.

5. No plain water - my aunt told me to drink red dates but I told her I couldn't (see above explanation). I've been drinking a lot of water actually. I am a water person. Mostly, I drank warm water from the water boiler. But that only was for the first two weeks. Then the next two weeks, I had room temperature water most of the day if not the weather wasn't cold. But everyday, whenever I wake up I drink a glass of warm water.

I have no reasonable explanation on this matter about the pantang (beliefs). Is it because in the old days postpartum women had a lot of water retention in so they were not allowed to drink more water worried that they may increase the symptom? According to the new research, if one has water retention symptom, one has to drink EVEN more water.

6. Don't touch tap water - oops ... this I totally ignore. As for hygiene purposes, I washed my hands every time I went to the bathroom or after eating or after anything else, with cold water from the hot water tap. This is due to the warm water will take about 2-3 mins to get into the bathroom. I have no patient to wait that long in the middle of the night as I wanted to go back to zzzz. So I just washed and wiped dry and go back to sleep. I am now afraid that my hands will hurt when I get older.

6 comments:

mom2ashley said...

i got so annoyed with the superstitions during my confinement. however i did bathe in those chinese herbs. i took my shower every day, washed my hair every 3 days and made sure i quickly dried it using the hair dryer, rested alot esp during the healing period and drank those red-dates water!

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

Thanks for sharing what you're doing during your confinement period. I'll most likely skip all the pantang larang (not like I know all of them anyway) as only me and hubby would be around to care for baby.

Say, do you take Brandon along every weekend when you guys go Target or anywhere else?

Anonymous said...

Speaking as a Malaysian Chinese and also a doctor, I think a lot of all these beliefs are just things passed down from generation to generation with no proof or scientific basis.
It is important to look after yourself and rest after giving birth but there is no need to treat a new mother like as if she is sick. on the other hand, in the Western culture, women are expected to give birth and then be able to get back to normal life the next day. Both cultures very extreme.
Everything in moderation I say!
I didn't follow many of the confinement rules ...
I went out after 10 days ... but had to as my epi stitches burst and had to go to hospital for a check.
Got bored after 2 weeks so I brought baby shopping!
Ate ginger chicken and pork but got sick of it after a week so had curry and pizza!!!
Drank the red dates water ... that was ok.
How not to wash with tap water?? impossible to follow.
Had shower everyday ... husband said he will leave me if don't shower!!! ha ha ha ...
Also how not to walk up and down stairs? Bedroom up and kitchen down. Not fortunate like people living in Malaysia to have confinement lady or maids ... so have to do everything myself!

wHOisBaBy said...

mom2ashley: yea, now i know i MUST REST during the first two weeks for my next one.

g: modern confinement no need to follow too closely. just make sure get a lot of rest and eat well.
we go everywhere (mall, target, babies r us, groceries, eat) on the weekend because on the weekdays we stayed home.

anonymous: yup, i think so too. just from great-grandma to grandma and then to mother. i do think rest is VERY IMPORTANT. If i had rested enough, i would have healed much faster.
for me, luckily, my husband didn't threaten to leave me if i didn't shower. hehehe

ZMM said...

Don't touch tap water?? If we don't touch.. who's going to bath our babies (for those w/out confinement lady).

I took a bath of ginger or herb water every day, and rinsed myself one more time in the night. I washed my hair every day.

It's so hot in M'sia, and what more with all the 'heaty' food taken, you sweat a lot.

And yes, I do agree these are ancient tradition which did not take into the considerations of current modern technology available.

wHOisBaBy said...

zara'a mama: my hand touched water so constantly during the confinement. there is no way that i could STOP wetting my hand.

we didn't give bath to the baby until his umblical cord came off. only gave him sponge bath during the first two weeks.