Mar 2, 2006

Malaysian Petrol Price Went Up 30 Cents

Two nights ago, my cousin came on to msn messenger and informed me regarding the petrol price increase in Malaysia. THIRTY CENTS (pre litre) increase is massive, especially for those that commute a lot for work or family. It is probably close to RM2.00/litre after the increase now. I still remember when I was pumping petrol at the Mobil station in TTDI, KL a few years ago and it was only RM1.10/litre. Towards end of 2004, I think it was around RM1.4x/litre.

According to my cousin, Petronas is making money with the increase last year and had given out 6 months bonuses to their employees. Well, we cannot rectify if this is true but if it is, the increase of the petrol will promote more bonuses for the Petronas employees this year. How is this justify for the rest of Malaysian?

Gasoline price in US is different at different pumps (stations). Because each stations or brand has its own addictives/extra formula added to the gasoline. We have 3 grades of gasoline at the pump - Regular, Super and Premium. I don't remember the level of octane in each category. My friend once told me that the gasoline sold in Malaysia has higher octane than the one locally. Anyway, I was out today and saw the price PER GALLON - $2.45, $2.55 and $2.65 respectively. One gallon is approximately 3.785 litre. [USD0.65 per litre]

A few months ago we experienced the highest gasoline price this century, it was at above $3.00 per gallon. When I first came here to study back in 1996, I remember seeing gasoline price lowest to be at $0.99 per gallon.

2 comments:

Egghead said...

should blame those greedy idiots who are manipulating the price of petrol... sigh!

ZMM said...

Yes.. and I heard, some of the subsidy that government was giving, now will channeled to help out those companies who are not doing well but have strong government backings.