Jan 12, 2006

My 32nd week doctor's appointment

Today begins my first bi-weekly appointment with my OB/GYN, Dr. Henry Wu. His office is located in Redondo Beach, approximately 6-7 miles from my home. Driving time around 15-20 minutes (including parking time). He is biligual and speaks Cantonese and English. We usually converse in both languages.

The last time I saw my OB/GYN was back in Nov 2005. Then during the last two months, I switched to seeing a perinatologist - an OB whom specializes for high risk or mutiple pregnancies, maternal and fetus care during the perinatal period (20th-28th week). He/She is also the doctor who normally perform the level 2 or more detailed ultrasound on the fetus.

At today's appointment, the nurse (Carmen), measured my weight and blood pressure, which are the very first thing you do during each appointment. So far I've gained a total of 25 pounds (~11kg). I am petite and small to start with, so the weight gain is consider OK. According to most pregnancy articles, weight gain between 25-30 pounds (11-14kg) are normal. Then I was ushered to a private room. The doctor came in with a bag of goodies for me. And also, he gave me more free prenatal vitamin samples. Then he questioned me about my last two months, I told him everything was OK. Then he checked the fundal height and the baby's heartbeat which was at 144bpm (beats per minute). He also checked my feet to see if there is any water retention. Then he pressed pressed on my abdomen and said the baby's head is down, and the butt is on my right side with the legs on the left side. I asked him if 36th week is considered full term, he said officially is 37th week. Before I left, the doctor told me to monitor the baby's activity, with at least 10 movements a day.

When I got home, I quickly checked what's in the goodie bag. The goodie bag has a few books (advertisements), and a bag contains an Avent baby bottle/storage bottle, a vitamin container, a small Johnson and Johnson baby lotion and a pack of facial tissue. This goodie bag was put together by Target (a store that sells all kind of stuff including baby items). The advertisement books showcase the baby stuff available in the store. So this goodie bag is considered as a promotional item.

The goodie bag with the books

The goodie bag

The pre-natal vitamin samples

6 comments:

eiko-chan said...

Mei jie say when the baby move can see the tummy like moving!!! Hehehe, must be very cute X3!!!~

ZMM said...

Wah, didn't know you are pregnant!! Until now!

Congratulations!!

Btw, your first one?

ZMM said...

btw, what a nice goodie bag you got too... hmm.. we never get such things in M'sia.

wHOisBaBy said...

Zara's mama: Thank you thank you. Know the doctor so he gave me a lot of free stuff. I almost don't have to buy any pre-natal vitamin. Only take the samples he gave me.

mom2ashley said...

your goodie bag looks good! better than the goodie bags that we get over here!

wHOisBaBy said...

mom2ashley: i like the avent baby bottle/storage. i also received a package from the insurance company with free a book (what to expect when you are expecting - not bad for casual reading and understanding about your pregnancy) and two magazines.