Jan 4, 2006

Epidural Analgesia for Childbirth

Growing up in Malaysia, I've have only heard about non-medical intervention childbirth (natural childbirth - without any pain relief medication) or C-section. My mother's generation never talked about Lamaze, Bradley Method childbirth technics or any pain management or relief procedure such as epidural. Everyone has to go through the pain of natural childbirth as it intended to be.

The first time I've heard about epidural was when I watched the TV documentary on Birth Stories on TLC channels (cable). I wasn't sure what it was but upon seeing the actual procedure done on the mom in labor, no doubt it did help with the pain relief. Well, is epidural for everyone? It depends. Some pregnant mom already opted for it before the labor. Some otherwise unless is neccessary.

Epidural refers to a procedure to relief pain in labor by inserting the medication directly to the space within your lower back spine. It is usually a regional pain relief management (say from waist down). To begin the nurse will start an IV . The anesthesiologist will first administer a localized numbing shot before inserting the epidural catheter into the back spine. During this procedure, you will have to sit up or curl up to make an arch on your back. He/She will carefully guide the needle to the epidural space. The needle is taken out and only the catheter is left. Medication will be administered accordingly and continously using the pump. It takes 10 -15 minutes to get the medication working. The patient will feel no pain ideally from wasite down, but able to have some control over the movement of the legs. Usually, the patient will not be allow out of the bed and another catheter for the bladder will be inserted to remove the urine. This catheter will be remove during or right before the actual delivery of the baby.

Some patients said epidural is heaven to child birth as it took away the pain and they were able to enjoy giving birth. Some said the epidural didn't work correctly as they still feel the pain during the labor. There is risk in having epidural but the risk is very low. It really depends on the situation. As for myself, I will have my option open. If I need one, I will ask for it.

For more information on epidural, please visit these websites:

Atlanta Health Page

IVillage

Babycenter


picture taken from www.mjbovo.com/Epidural.htm

5 comments:

shoppingmum said...

I had epidural when I delivered Justin last time. I could cope with the contractions, but when my water breaks, the pain is too much for me to bear, and opt for epidural. Besides taking away the pain, I was very alert and energetic after delivery. That helped a lot when I started my breastfeeding journey.

wHOisBaBy said...

shoppingmum: Thanks for stopping by. New modern mommies like yourself are more aware of what type of pain management are readily available today than before. My cousin sister delivered her son 5 years ago in Penang Adventist, she never heard about epidural that time and the doctor never offer either.

Allyfeel said...

Me too had epidural when I delivered bb. I puked bcause of excessive pain, I could not stand so I called for an epidural. It made me relax and dilate faster, bb came out an hour after epidural.

Btw, are u expecting?

I've tagged you..:P Check it out at my blog.

wHOisBaBy said...

Allyfeel: Replied the tag. Yes, am expecting. Will blog about that soon.

I read about epidurals and some said it may pro-long the labor or may end up in unneccessary C-section. Well, I guess these are the risks.

ZMM said...

I didn't op for Epidural when I gave birth to Zara..

I just use gas. I understand it's easier to push b'cos you can feel the sensation.