Dec 7, 2005

When I first came to Los Angeles

I came to Los Angeles back in June 1996. I've just celebrated my 21st birthday not too long ago before my flight to LA. Back then, the international airport was still at Subang.

It was summer time in LA in June. I arrived at the LAX blur without knowing what to expect. The administrator, Sam Doerr whom I've met during the education fair in KL was there to pick me up. It was a Saturday, if remembered correctly. She drove me to the college housing which was located in San Pedro on Walker. We rang the bell but no one was there. It was summer and not too many students were living in the college housing. It was kind of late by then, may be around 830-9pm. So she decided to put me up at the hotel next to the Marina. I believe it was Marriot. I got my own room just for that night.

You may think that was fun. Anyway, but it was not all fun. I've started to miss my family back home. That was my very first time away from my family ALONE so so far away. I've grown up being around family and relatives so this emptiness in me made me really sad because I know, I would not be seeing all of them at least for 6 months.

The next morning, Sam came to pick me up. I didn't really sleep too much that night after sobbing hard. Poor me. So we drove back to the apartment housing on Walker. This time, the resident advisor was there. Her name is Lisa (I don't remember her last name). Since the housing was pretty empty, she asked me if I have any preference on the unit. Well, I don't remember what I've told her but I got an apartment all by myself. 2 bedrooms and 2 baths with an ocean view. Sorry no pictures since I didn't have camera back then. I've choosen the master suite (with own bathroom). After getting myself unpacked into my new room, I got to meet other students living in the apartment. Stephanie Ulto and Sandra were the other people there. Stephanie drove me out to buy stuff - bedsheets, detergent, food, kitchen utensils ... etc.

By the second week, a Japanese student shared the apartment with me. She took the second room. I've forgotten her name because we seldom speak to each other as she was taking English classes and she didn't communicated much anyway.

I lived in the apartment until the end of the Summer semester. It was about 6 weeks long. After that I moved out and rented a room from a family. Cheaper that way. Also if I continued to stay in the college housing, by Fall semester, I would not be able to have my own room, I could but it would be expensive. I paid $300 a month for my own room with my own bathroom with the family.

The experience I went through during my stay was never what I've thought off. It was very nice and I've learn many things from the RA (Resident Advisor) and also by just living by myself. I had so much fun by the time it ended and it felt so short. I didn't get to see the friends I met from there again because they all have graduated and continued to the 4 years college after that summer. Although I still miss my family, but being able to fit in here helped me to adjust.

No comments: