Dec 5, 2005

How I ended up in Los Angeles

It is a long story. But to summarize, I came here to study for my bachelor degree. A year after I graduated, I ended up marrying a American born Chinese (ABC) and settled down here. Hehehe, then the main reason to get marry was to extend my work permit to find a job here. My practical training permit only allowed for one year. I wasn't lucky enough to be able to land myself with a job by the third quarter of my first year due to some unforseen circumstances (will explain in a future blog).

Love it in Los Angeles. Weather is nice. Traffic manner is a lot better than in Malaysia. Majority of the people here actually follow what the road sign said. STOP means STOP for 2 seconds. Unlike in Malaysia, "Berhenti" means see no car just drive.

Wages are high, compare to Malaysia. Currently is $6.75/ hour. Living expenses also high here but if you know how to save, sure you can save one.

Automobile is cheap. Can buy with cash. No need to get loan. You can go in the dealer today and buy and drive away with your new car instancely, instead of waiting for 3 months later to get the car.

Well of course, there are down points too. Food of course is not as easily accessible as in Malaysia. I mean you can walk to a "kopitiam" and buy hawker easily. Here, well you are lucky if you can find a McDonald outside your house. In Los Angeles, you will need a car to be able to get around and especially to get food. Unless you cook at home, but still you need to drive to get groceries.

People aren't as friendly as back in Malaysia. Neighbors hardly talk to each other. People here are all busy with their own family and work. See each other, only say 'Hello', 'How are you?', 'Nice day today', 'Long time no see'.

No comments: