Dec 24, 2005

Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen-Mah

This morning while I was reading Amy Tan's latest novel - Saving Fish from Drowning, it came to my mind that I read a very beautiful written memoir a few years back. I was trying to search about it to blog, unfortunately, I didn't remember the name of the author or the title of the book.

I searched high and low in hope to be able to get an glimpse of the author name or the title because I know if I see any clue at all I will remember. Fortunately, I was able to look up my diary (written from 2001-2003) and was able to locate the title and author's name - Falling Leaves : The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen-Mah. I read this memoir back in 2001.

It is a very well written memoir of the author herself while growing up in Shanghai and then later in Hong Kong, UK and America. This book has a well collection of memory of a little girl who was left without a mother after she was born. This girl was the youngest among the 5 children and thus, she was referred to as 'Wu Mei' - Fifth sister. Within a year after her mother passing, her millionaire father remarried a beaultiful wife. With her, he had two children. From then on, ... the suffering. abusing, and thriving ... began.

Go and get yourself this book and start reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's a really nice book. I read another version of her memoir - Chinese Cinderella Story. (or somewhere there la the title). Cant keep track how many times I cried while reading it. Hehe. Really Nice.

Allyfeel said...

I read this many years back. Can you believe it, I cried? *Sob sob*
A very nice reading...errr where is my copy? I think it's with my friend now.

wHOisBaBy said...

Yes, the book is so well written. I was so into the story and I feel like I was here. The sadness just poured onto me and I did shed a few tears.